The EJ Technical Guidance is organized into seven main sections and three appendices.
- Section 1 provides an overview of the guidance.
- Section 2 describes the key definitions used throughout the guidance.
- Section 3 highlights key analytic considerations, including three questions to frame the analysis, data and other analytic considerations, and the four main recommendations for guiding the analysis.
- Section 4 discusses select contributors to and drivers of the uneven distribution of health risks that often occur among communities with potential EJ concerns.
- Sections 5 provides technical guidance on how to incorporate consideration of potential EJ concerns into EPA's human health risk assessment framework during the risk assessment planning phase.
- Section 6 provides analysts with guidance on how to evaluate what level of analysis is feasible (qualitative, quantitative or some combination); the types of information that should be presented and methods that can be used to generate this information; and a discussion of other analytic considerations that could affect the results of the assessment.
- Section 7 provides a summary of research gaps and data needs specific to improving EJ analysis for the Agency.
- The appendices provide a suite of examples. Appendix A lists other EPA resources that may be helpful when conducting risk assessment or economic analysis. Appendix B includes examples of approaches used when considering EJ in exposure and effects assessment. And, Appendix C summarizes information about how EJ has been analyzed and considered in 11 recent regulatory actions.