The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) oversees NEPA. The duties and functions of CEQ are listed in Title II, Section 204 of NEPA and include:
- Gathering information on the conditions and trends in environmental quality;
- Evaluating federal programs in light of the goals established in Title I of the Act;
- Developing and promoting national policies to improve environmental quality; and
- Conducting studies, surveys, research, and analyses relating to ecosystems and environmental quality.
The CEQ's specific responsibilities related to the administration of NEPA include:
- Issue regulations and guidance to federal agencies on NEPA compliance.
- Resolve lead agency disputes.
- Mediate inter-agency disputes over environmental policy.
- Provide advice to federal agencies on NEPA compliance.